Monday, October 24th is the very first annual Food Day! Food Day seeks to raise awareness of issues pertaining to food and to bring people together, "to push for healthy, affordable food produced in a sustainable, humane way." The holiday was founded by the Center for Science in the Public Interest (nutrition advocacy organization and publisher of the fantastic Nutrition Action Healthletter).
The 6 goals of Food Day are as follows:
1. Reduce diet-related disease by promoting safe, healthy foods
2. Support sustainable farms & limit subsidies to big agribusiness
3. Expand access to food and alleviate hunger
4. Protect the environment & animals by reforming factory farms
5. Promote health by curbing junk-food marketing to kids
6. Support fair conditions for food and farm workers
Sound good? Great! So, What can you do to celebrate Food Day? Anything pertaining to real food - it's up to you! Organize a healthy dinner with friends, teach someone a new vegetable recipe. Check out this page for more ideas.