|Biscotti loaves cooling before slicing|
- All-Purpose flour, 1 cup
- Ground flaxseed, 1 cup
- Baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt, 1/4 teaspoon
- Granulated sugar, 1/3 cup
- Dark brown sugar, 1/3 cup tightly packed
- Eggs, 1 large whole egg and 2 egg whites
- Almond or Vanilla extract, 1 1/2 teaspoons (I used almond because I like it better)
- Dark chocolate, 3.5 oz bar chopped (I used an 85% cocoa bar, but next time may try a 70% cocoa one)
- Unsalted almonds, 3/4 cup coarsely chopped
|Sliced biscotti, before the final baking|
Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, flaxseed, baking soda and salt and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the sugars, egg and egg whites; beat with a hand mixer on high for 2 minutes. Add almond or vanilla extract and mix well. Add flour to egg mixture, stir until well combined. Fold in chocolate and almonds. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Divide dough into three equal log-like portions about 6 inches long and arrange 3 inches apart on the baking sheet. The dough will be very sticky; moisten your finger tips or spatula with water and pat into rectangle loaves 1-inch thick. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until firm.
Remove loaves from baking sheet and allow to cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 325 F.
Cut rolls diagonally (1/2 inch wide) into approximately 28-30 slices. Arrange biscotti slices on baking sheet and bake for 7 minutes; turn slices over and bake 7 more minutes. Remove from baking sheet and cool on a wire rack. Biscotti will fully harden as they cool.